Residence Permit for Investment
Golden Visas allow foreign citizens, non-national citizens of the European Union (U.E.) or the European Economic Area (EEA), to obtain a temporary residence permit to develop an investment activity, being exempt to have a residence visa to enter the Portuguese territory.
- Enter Portugal without a residence visa.
- Reside and work in Portugal, only having to remain in the national territory for at least 7 days in the first year, and at least 14 days in the following years.
- Circulate in the Schengen area without visa requirements.
- Benefit from family reunification: the authorization is extended to the spouse, children, parents and minor siblings (if they are in charge).
- Possibility of requesting a permanent residence permit; Possibility of applying for Portuguese nationality.
Who can apply?
Non-national citizens of the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA), which is composed of the U.E. countries and also Liechtenstein, Norway and Iceland.
- Develop an investment activity, either personally or through a company incorporated in Portugal or in another State of the U.E. with permanent establishment in Portugal.
- Being present in the Portuguese territory.
- Not having been convicted of a crime punishable by the Portuguese law by a prison sentence of more than one year.
- Not having been subject to an expulsion measure.
- Invest in the Portuguese territory for a minimum period of five years.
- Bear a valid Schengen visa.
- Legalize the stay in Portugal within 90 days from the first entry into the territory.
Forms of investment:
1- Transfer of capital:
- Amount equal to or greater than 1 million euros, with free application.
- Amount equal to or greater than 350 thousand Euros, which shall be applied in one of the following:
- Scientific research activities, integrated into the national scientific and technological system.
- Acquisition of units of investment funds or venture capital funds for the capitalization of companies, constituted under Portuguese law, whose maturity at the time of the investment is at least five years and at least 60 % of the value of the investments is made in commercial companies based in the national territory.
- Establishment of a commercial company with the creation of five permanent jobs, or reinforcement of the share capital of a commercial company headquartered in the national territory, already established, with the creation or maintenance of jobs, with a minimum of five permanent employees, and for a minimum period of three years.
- Amount equal to or greater than 250 thousand Euros, which shall be applied in:
- Investment in or support of artistic production, recovery or maintenance of the national cultural heritage.
2- Employment Creation:
- Creation of at least 10 jobs.
3- Acquisition of real estate:
- Of value equal or greater than 500 thousand Euros.
- Of value equal or greater than 350 thousand Euros if it is real estate built for at least 30 years or located in urban rehabilitation areas and for realization of rehabilitation works in the real estate acquired.
What is the validity of the authorization?
One year, with possibility of renovation. Renewals occur for periods of two years as long as the requirements are maintained.